An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Reporting Aboard
Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station (NCTS) Naples, Italy
NCTS Naples Menu

Reporting Aboard

Command Sponsor Coordinator
Please contact the command sponsor coordinator at the earliest opportunity to discuss your transfer to NCTS Naples and to raise any questions you that you may have.

If your family members are accompanying you, it is important to notify your sponsor. Provide your sponsor with a letter or email with information about your family size and how many bedrooms you are looking for, your sponsor will be able to assist you in the right direction for base housing or civilian housing. As a service to all command sponsor families, upon request, family housing will provide refrigerators, washers and dryers and ranges to all command sponsored families, where residing on or off base. You are encouraged to use these appliances and consider not shipping your major appliances to Italy. All other furniture support (loaner furniture) is provided for a maximum of 90 days. 

Once you know that you are coming to Naples, there is no time to waste in getting ready to move. A move overseas requires months of preparation, and the sooner you have orders in hand, the sooner you can get started. This section will provide you with some of the details and answers to some of the most commonly asked questions on moving overseas. It cannot be overemphasized that you should immediately contact your sponsor. Constant communication between you, your family and your sponsor will make your move smoother and eliminate needless worries and frustrations.

Your current command should immediately begin the process of overseas screening for you and your family, as soon as you have orders in hand. This typically consists of medical examinations, inoculations, and an interview with a command representative. Your command’s administrative department should have all the details on this process, so contact them immediately.

Additionally, if you or one of your family members has a change in their medical condition after completion of their overseas screening, notify your command at once. You should contact your respective medical facility to begin the immunization series far enough in advance so a last minute rush is avoided. Having to get several shots at once can be painful, especially for children.

An International Certificate of Vaccination (PHS Form 731) is required and will be issued before leaving the United States when you have completed the required shots. Booster shots are given as required at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Naples.

Accompanied Service Members
All E1-E9 and O1-O6 accompanied service members are eligible to apply for Military Family Housing (MFH).

Civilian Personnel 
You are eligible to occupy MFH only at the support site. Assignment to MFH will be based on family size and composition.

Single or Unaccompanied E1-E3 Service Members
You will reside in the BEQ. If space is not available, temporary assignment will be provided at the Navy Lodge until BEQ space is available.

Single or Unaccompanied E4 and Above:

  1. If you advance to E4, you will have 60 days after your "paid" (as an E4) date to move out of the barracks.

  2. Financial counseling is mandatory for all E4 and below moving off base 5. It is recommended that all personnel moving off base attend the area of responsibility ousing brief. Don’t forget to have renter’s insurance.

Direct Assignment Policy
If the MFH occupancy rate falls below 95 percent, direct assignment goes into effect. The policy matches incoming personnel with satisfactory quarters upon arrival. This policy is established to maintain maximum utilization of MFH. Please contact the Housing Welcome Center to learn the current Direct Assignment Policy conditions. The Housing Library also contains links to relevant instructions and policies.

Bachelor housing is not available in Gaeta or Rome. NSA Gaeta personnel will choose economy housing with the assistance of the Housing Office in Gaeta. Full tour loaner furniture for single and unaccompanied junior personnel (E4 & below) may be authorized for those assigned to these areas through Single Sailor Loaner Program.

For further information contact your sponsor, Naples Bachelor Housing or Gaeta Housing:

Bachelor Housing
DSN: 626-5250/4336
Commercial: 011-39-081-568-5250/4336

Civilian Personnel - Supplemental Information
The Human Resources Office (HRO) will explain the Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) and the Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) during check-in. You may reach HRO through the main NSA Web site.

Please make sure your sponsor or command makes reservations for you at the Navy Lodge or a local hotel in the Naples area.

Personal Property Shipment
Upon receipt of orders to the Naples area, it is recommended that, as soon as practical, you contact the nearest personal property transportation office to arrange for shipment of your personal property. The personal property office will be able to provide specific information about entitlements, mode of shipment, transit times, etc.

Household Goods
Depending upon the U.S. origin, it generally takes two to three months for household goods to arrive in Naples. Naples is not a weight-restricted area so you may ship your full weight allowance. But remember, unaccompanied baggage, storage lots, and shipments to a designated place are all included in this weight allowance. Contact with your sponsor is important in order to determine which household good items are necessary in Naples and which will be better to store or ship to a designated place. When you arrive in Naples, visit the Personal Property Shipping Office as soon as possible. Take with you all copies of documentation covering your shipments, including your automobile, in order to allow the Personal Property Shipping Office to start tracing if necessary. Specific information concerning delivery of your goods and claims will be provided by the Personal Property staff.

Unaccompanied Baggage or Express Shipment
If sent by air, this shipment can be expected to arrive in the Naples area within 30-45 days. Your unaccompanied baggage should include necessary clothing, linens and blankets, dishes, pots, pans other small essential kitchen utensils, iron, iron board, small collapsible cribs, play pens, strollers, small radios, televisions and stereo sets. You may also include professional books, papers and equipment. Through the “loaner furniture” program in Naples, you’ll be able to get large articles of furniture and some appliances to use until your household good shipment arrives. This makes it possible for you to move right in as soon as you have located a place to live. With your unaccompanied baggage and the loaner furniture, you will be comfortable in your new home while you wait for your household goods to arrive.

When you arrive in Naples, visit the Personal Property Shipping Office as soon as possible. Take with you all copies of documentation covering your shipments, including your automobile, in order to allow the Personal Property Shipping Office to start tracing if necessary. Specific information concerning delivery of your goods and claims will be provided by the Personal Property staff.

Non-Temporary Storage
Orders to any overseas duty station entitles you to non-temporary storage at government expense for the duration of the overseas tour. It is strongly recommend that members shipping full JFTR carefully select those items needed to establish living comfort, considering economy and Government lease quarters are, in almost all cases, smaller than those found in CONUS. Your sponsor should provide information which will enable you to determine what to store. If, after you have settled, you decide that some of the items left in non-temporary storage–or the entire lot–can be used in you new home, you may request shipment to Naples by contacting the Personal Property Shipping Office with copies of your PCS orders.

Temporary Storage
In connection with your shipment of household goods and unaccompanied baggage, should it be necessary to delay the delivery of your personal property shipments upon arrival in Naples, you will be authorized, at government expense, initial 90 days storage. If it becomes necessary to exceed the 90 days, you must contact the Personal Property Shipping Office and request additional storage in writing. Another 90 days may be granted if all requirements are met. This additional 90 days of storage applies to military only. Additionally, if your shipment of household goods has arrived and access is desired to withdraw something, you may do so at government expense one time only. Again, arrangements must be made through the Personal Property Shipping office. Delivery of your personal property shipment (household goods or unaccompanied baggage) can generally be expected within five working days.

Firearms and Restricted Items
At the present time there is a ban on the importation of firearms into Italy. The possession of any types of firearms in Italy is strictly controlled and requires the owner to obtain a permit. Shipping firearms may cause a delay in your property clearing Italian customs. The definition of firearms includes any weapon that is designed for or can be readily converted to be used for attack, defense, sports, games or hunting by driving a projectile through the barrel. This includes air pistols, air rifles and firing replicas of antique firearms. Care should be taken not to include other restricted or prohibited items with your shipment. A representative from the Personal Property Shipping Office will advise you on this.

Property Insurance
Italian landlords do not carry insurance against fire, theft, or water damage to the building, apartment or household furnishings of the tenant. Unless you as a tenant take out insurance, you could suffer loss or damage which would be difficult to recover, even after long and costly litigation in the Italian courts. Reported cases of housebreaking and theft of personal property (including motor vehicles) are not uncommon. Americans as well as Italians learn to be security conscious and realistically evaluate the precautions taken to safeguard their property. Consideration should be given to storing items of great sentimental value or items of very high value which are unnecessary to have during overseas tours. You may also wish to take out private insurance or update your current policy. Keep in mind that there are no safety deposit boxes available on the military installations. Under certain circumstances, when a theft of your property has occurred, you may file a claim with the U.S, government for reimbursement. However, there are limitations on the amount which can be paid.


In Italy, an unfurnished apartment or villa is just that, unfurnished. Usually there are no kitchen cabinets, clothes closets, screens, or medicine cabinets in bathrooms. There are also usually no light fixtures. In some cases you may be able to purchase these items from the previous tenant but for the most part, setting up a house in Italy will cost more than in most places. Measure all your large kitchen appliances and big pieces of furniture before coming to Naples; this could be critical when house-hunting.

The Partial Full Tour Furnishings Program, for personnel reporting onboard with command-sponsored family members, authorizes the following items be issued to families reporting:

  • Refrigerator

  • Gas stove

  • Washer/dryer (gas)

  • Microwave

  • A two- or three-door kitchen hutch

  • Two transformers

  • One freezer

  • Two pedestal fans

  • One wardrobe for each family member plus one additional wardrobe per family

    • One additional wardrobe is also issued for dual military and GS-12 civilian and above

Household items for sale by departing personnel are advertised each week in the base newspaper, Panorama.

The following are some suggestions concerning individual types of household appliances and fixtures. Once again, utilize your sponsor if your individual questions are not answered. Use this list to decide what you will put into storage before coming to Italy. Contact your personal property office to get more information on storage provided by the government during an overseas move.

You should bring all the lamps and ceiling fixtures that you own. Light fixtures are adapted to Italian current simply by replacing American bulbs with Italian ones. Additional fixtures can be purchased at the Navy Exchange or through mail order catalogues. If you are looking for fixtures to take back to the U.S., there are excellent buys at fine shops in Naples.

If you have them, bring them. Beds are normally available in the Navy Exchange. If not, they can be ordered, but you may encounter a long waiting period. Beds are available on the economy but are different sizes than American beds, and the sheets you now own won’t fit.

In a move to Italy, rugs often become a major expense. Floors here are hard tile or marble. Bring all the carpets and rugs you own. If you don’t already have rugs, you may want to buy a few inexpensive room-size carpets (9x12,9x15, etc.). Average quality rugs and padding in standard sizes are available in the Navy Exchange. Also, a wide variety of rugs can be found on the Italian economy.

Drapes from your last home probably will be too short here because of the extremely high windows and ceilings. But it’s worth bringing them because there may be a way to alter them. You can purchase fabric on the economy, or it can be mail-ordered from the States. You may not require drapes immediately because the “persiane” (blinds that raise and lower much like a rolltop desk to cover windows) are standard in most Italian dwellings.

If you have them, bring them. A limited selection is available through the Navy Exchange. Wood bought on the local economy is extremely expensive.

Anything that can be used to store things will come in handy. In your new home, there will be many areas where you can put small tables, desks, dressers, and boxes.

Many manufacturers have these available; purchase one if you can. Dishwashers with 50-60 cycle options are available in the Country Store or the Audio Video & Appliance Store in AFSouth’s Save Center.

It is not recommended that you bring an air conditioner. Few Italian homes use air conditioning because in most areas the power supply is inadequate to carry the load, and it’s cost prohibitive to run one.

Naples can be very damp, particularly during the winter months. A dehumidifier will help make your home easier to keep warm and avoid mildew problems. They are usually available in the Navy Exchange, or you may want to include one or two in your household goods shipment.

Microwave ovens sold in the U.S. are generally 60 cycles and cannot be converted. Unless specifically designated 50/60Hz, they cannot be used without damage to the magnetron tube. Units sold in the Navy Exchange are 50/60Hz and are ready to use with a transformer. When you are returning to the States, they may be adjusted to 60Hz for stateside use Keep in mind that microwaves are provided as part of the Partial Full Tour Furnishings Program.

Generally speaking (except for electrical clocks) small electrical appliances adapt to use on transformers. Should you find it preferable to purchase a new or 220 volt item, it is available on the local economy.

These are not practical because they will not keep accurate time due to the 50 cycle current (the hands travel five-sixths of an hour every 60 minutes). Also, many areas experience brief power outages which will throw the time off. They are not reliable. 

The sound system of the Italian television broadcast is on a different frequency than the United States. With a minor adjustment of the receiver, you may be able to pick up the Italian sound, but the picture will appear in black and white. If you own a cable-ready or U.S.-standard television, you will be able to receive American television broadcast by American Forces Network (AFN). A multi-system TV can receive both the Italian and American signals. The Navy Exchange has a complete stock of antennas, amplifiers and multi-system TVs available. If you plan to use your TV only with a video player, conversion is not required.

New lawn mowers are available at the Navy Exchange Country Store on a limited basis. Some common replacement parts are available, but due to the variety of models manufactured, it is recommended that if you ship your mower you also ship extra blades, plugs, and “tune-up” kits.

Even with an apartment, you will have balconies and will be able to use lawn furniture. The Navy Exchange carries an assortment and wicker furniture is available locally on the Italian market. If you want to buy some high quality lawn items, Italy is famous for exporting a wide variety.

Because of the traffic, it is unsafe for young children to ride bikes in city streets. However, most suburban areas have relatively quiet streets where bicycles can be safely ridden.

Stateside mail order catalogues will prove helpful in outfitting the household or the family throughout your tour. Most large companies produce a special APO/FPO edition which makes ordering easier. You may want to collect the catalogues before you leave the States. The NEX Bookstore also carries a variety of catalogues.


Military personnel may enter Italy on official military orders and a military ID, and for most purposes, the Armed Forces Identification Card will enable travel throughout Italy and other NATO countries. As a rule, non-NATO countries require passports for military personnel. If your new duties in Naples require you to travel on official business to countries requiring an official passport, coordinate with your new command as passport procedures changed in 2002. Tourist passports are obtainable through the American Consulate in Naples. See your command travel representative for current information.

All military dependents and DoD civilians, including children, require passports for entry into Italy. Military dependents are eligible for a “no-fee” passport. No-fee passports must be obtained before leaving the United States. Each military family member, regardless of age, must have a “no-fee” passport. All civilians are also required to obtain a visa prior to entry into Italy. Visas require several weeks to obtain, and you cannot get a visa once you arrive in Italy. For additional information on visa requirements, see the Bureau of Consular Affairs website or check with your local Navy Passenger Transportation Office (NAVPTO) or travel office.

Dependents who are citizens of European Union countries do not require a visa. Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USIS) for additional information regarding Italian visa requirements.

All incoming civilians are required to apply for a sojourner permit within eight days of their arrival in Italy. The Navy Legal Service Office (NLSO) will help you with the application process and pick up your completed permit from the local police. A sojourner permit is a confirmation of your legal resident status in Italy, much like an American "green card." Civilians should always carry their Sojourner Permit and passport when traveling. While commuting in the local area, it is a good idea to carry a photocopy of your sojourner permit in case you are stopped by police. This rarely happens, but it is good to be prepared. Military members should, of course, always carry their military identification cards with them.

The visa for all civilians, including spouses, civilian component personnel, and dependents, is now for “missione” purposes. Thus, all military spouses, civilian component and dependents must possess a “missione” visa and an official or no-fee passport prior to their entry into Italy. They then must apply for a sojourner permit within eight days after their arrival in Naples.

Military family members, DoD civilians, and their respective family members must request the visa through their travel office or from the nearest Italian consulate prior to their departure from the United States. If you do not have a visa upon arrival in Italy, you cannot obtain a sojourners permit.

Military dependents holding U.S. passports and intending to stay more than 90 days and U.S. government civilian employees must have a visa prior to arrival in Italy. U.S. passport holders that remain less than 90 days do not require a visa. The visa needs to be issued on the official or no-fee passport before leaving the United States.

Family members of military personnel will need to submit a photo copy of the spouse’s certificate of marriage, with the request for a visa for Italy because the names of family members are not shown on the Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.

Please keep in mind that visa requirements may change, usually with little or no notice. Depending on your nationality, the visa processing time may take as long as 90 days. You should begin the process of applying for your passports and visas as soon as you are in receipt of PCS orders.

You may now bring your pet to Italy with you on Air Mobility Command (AMC) flights on a space available basis. There is an excess baggage fee and only a limited number of pets may be shipped on each flight. AMC will not ship any pet over 150 pounds. Be sure to inform your personnel department who schedules your flight to Italy that you will be traveling with a pet.

There is a limit of two pets for each family, dogs and cats only, and you must provide the proper travel containers. Check with your travel coordinator if you have more than two pets for the new Space-A pet policy.

If you intend to eventually move into government-leased family housing, please be advised that only up to two pets per family are allowed in government-leased quarters. For more information on the NSA Naples pet policy click on the link below.

Pet Policy
There is no quarantine period in Italy, but you will be required to have a current rabies immunization record on the animal(s). The pet must have had a rabies shot not more than 12 months and not less than 30 days prior to arrival in Italy. No exotic pets are allowed.

In addition, a veterinary health certificate with the following data is required: Personal identification of the owner and a detailed description of the animal attesting to its good health. This certification is good for only 30 days from the date of examination and must be certified by an official veterinary service.

Limited veterinarian service is available from a U.S. Army Veterinarian located at Gricignano (support site). However, it is suggested that once settled in Naples, you find a reliable Italian veterinarian near your home. The Army veterinarian in Naples primary mission is inspecting food products and preventing related diseases and is not always available for pet care.

If your pet is old, requires special treatment or long term medication, it is recommended that you not bring it to Naples. No special diagnostic facilities are available. If your pet has a special health problem, have your sponsor contact the veterinary service to determine if adequate care will be available.

The Navy Lodge has no boarding kennels for dogs and cats. Coordinate closely with your sponsor if you do have pets.  |  Navy.MIL  |  |  Navy FOIA  |  DoD Accessibility/Section 508  |  No Fear Act  |  Open Government  |  Plain Writing Act  | 
Veterans Crisis Line  |  VA Vet Center  |   FVAP  |   DoD Safe Helpline  |  Navy SAPR  |  Family Advocacy Program  |  National Domestic Violence Hotline 
Suicide Prevention   |  NCIS Tips  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map
  |  Contact Us

Naval Information Forces     |     115 Lake View Parkway     |     Suffolk, VA 23435
Official U.S. Navy Website
Veteran's Crisis Line