On May 12, 1906, Navy Radio Station, San Diego commenced ship to shore wireless telegraph operations, handling 3,000 messages in its first year. By 1916, communications had become a key component of the new era of growing sea power.
In 1940, the station became part of Naval history as a worldwide fleet broadcast member, transmitting the first news of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor to Headquarters D.C. The station continued to play an active role throughout World War II in support of Allied forces fighting the Pacific Campaign.
In 1953, the command was renamed Naval Communications Station, San Diego. This new title reflected a growing mission and increased technical responsibilities. In 1966, the station established the Automated Digital Network (AUTODIN), the most advanced messaging system of its time. By 1989, the station had seen tremendous growth in its role as a leader in naval telecommunications, delivering over 48 million messages in that year alone.
Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station (NCTS) San Diego as we know it today was born when communications and automated data processing were integrated as a result of the merger of Naval Communications Station and Navy Regional Data Automation Center.
By 1998, command cutting edge efforts led to the establishment of the San Diego Metropolitan Area Network, the first of its kind, to deliver all voice, video and data services in the region.
NCTS San Diego continues to focus on providing quality, integrated tactical and non-tactical telecommunications connectivity to local and regional customers, afloat and ashore, through a cooperative effort with the Regional Information Technology Service Center (RITSC). The command is currently leading the way to the Defense Message System, supporting afloat pier side connectivity, the OSD Global Information Grid (GIG) project, and the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) implementation for the Southwest Region.